Wednesday 25 June 2014

How to block the view

 I've been to the British Museum today. You know the feeling you've lived an extra life? Well, I'd like to fancy if I did I would have been Egyptian or Greek, but ancient ones. Everything I see related to these old cultures strikes me - small or big, having belonged to a pharaoh or a plebeian. A stone, a metal, a piece of wood, they all convey so much meaning and at the same time little do we know about them. I know sometimes I should be walking around the streets of London, but I just can't help being alone with the mummies for they seem so earthy, wise and silent. I'm sure they observe us moving aroung like silly people from display to display wondering who they were. In a museum, it's all about "left overs", as if Chance have filtered what  humankind now should and should not see and undestand. And I like that. There are things we shouldn't know. They're best kept in secret. Like today, we saw some really stupid tourists. There was this lady blocking the view of Buckingham Palace. She wanted to have it all for herself,  I guess. And there was another lady who was so rude trying everything to get her blue-haired son close to the Palace gate that I wondered why some of the most beautiful things should be shared with the ugly and the mediocre ones. I mean I don't want to sound arrogant or anything, but these people block our view of the world. That's why I sometimes prefer the mummies in the museums.



4 comments:

  1. Reading your post has made me want to go and revisit the mummies in the Egyptian Room at the British Museum. We, in the hectic 21st century, could learn from the calm and serenity of these ancient beings. Thanks for your insights, Miguel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Fiona. Nice to hear we have a few things in common.

      Delete
  2. Egypt is a fascinating country and the mummies are really intriguing!
    Living and learning! Variety is the spicy of life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Ligia. Were 't just wonderful? It's just too bad they are facing so many difficulties.

      Delete