Monday 30 June 2014

St Paul's Cathedral, Tuesday July 1st

I've just discovered that we will be among the first people to see a brand new piece of installation art in St Paul's Cathedral! Martyrs by Bill Viola and Kira Perov went on display in May 2014 and is a video installation on four plasma screens. There is more information on this ground-breaking and disturbing work of art on the St Paul's website, click here to go directly to it. I have also posted an interview with the artists.
For information on what to see and do in this stunning building click here
Did you know that Winston Churchill's funeral took place here? And on a happier note, this is where Lady Diana Spencer married Prince Charles to become Diana, Princess of Wales. Lord Nelson and Sir Christopher Wren are among the great Britons buried here.


See you all on the steps of St Paul's tomorrow morning at 9.30 - I have your entry tickets.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Fiona, I was so moved by this work. The four elements nearly slashing man's body was quite touching to see. Let alone, in a cathedral which made this experience even more genuine to me (I was pleased for there were no tourists whatsoever interested in taking stupid selfies in front of it!). What really surprised me was that in the end of the video - when the water stops from falling down - the man's body rises like an upsidedown crucifix. Pure poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, it's an extraordinary piece. I've never seen anything like it, and I think it needs to be seen quietly rather than surrounded by loads of people taking selfies who maybe don't appreciate it. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. I really apreciated St Paul`s Cathedral, the music, the stairs, the scultures. It was great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we were really lucky to hear the organ playing while we were there, weren't we?

      Delete
  3. St. Paul's Cathedral was one of the best parts of London I have visited. There are lots of pieces of art we can just look at and admire!! I could stay there for hours and hours... Thanks IH for taking us there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the trip to St Paul's - places like that make me so proud to be a Londoner, and it's wonderful to be able to share them with enthusiastic visitors like you :-)

      Delete
  4. Hello Fiona! I really enjoyed St Paul's Cathedral, one thing that surprised me was the sculpture named "the mother and the son" or something like this! it is very modern and interesting, but, I gaze at everything ,they are so exciting. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mother and Son sculpture is wonderful - it's by Henry Moore, one of my favourite sculptors. So simple and yet so expressive!

      Delete
  5. Hi Fiona! Watching that video which you posted made me think about the picture Water, Earth, Air and Fire. I've noticed that we, human beings, have to look at our inner space in order to deal with our weaknessess and overcome our challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, that video is very helpful, and the picture(s)/installation really does make you think. I watched it twice when we were in St Paul's as I found it very moving.

      Delete