Saturday 21 June 2014

My first week in London!

I’ve had funny and enjoyable moments since I arrived in my family house.
Brenda, my hostess, who is a very friendly retired woman, welcomed me with a traditional English dish called roast chicken with gravy. I wasn’t expected to have lunch and despite having a delicious food she also opened a bottle of red wine to welcome me.
The first funny thing that happened was that she tried to correct my English pronunciation of the word “own”. Oh my god!!! That was hard…but I finally could manage to pronounce it correctly.
The other funny thing that happened was about the misunderstanding of “pudding”. This word is closely related to a Brazilian sweet called “pudim”. She offered me to have some pudding and I accepted. I was very surprised when came with a piece of chessecake with strawberries as  I had no idea that “pudding” means dessert. We laughed a lot when I told her about my idea of pudding.
I’m really enjoying having the experience of living with an English family. I’m sure I’ll have loads of things to tell about by the end of my trip.
Ana


2 comments:

  1. Hi ANNA

    I made the same mistake with a kind
    Of soup. It was a kind of pie, a delicious one, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Sunday lunch is a big deal here: roast chicken, or roast beef, roast lamb, roast pork...all served with roast potatoes, vegetables and of course gravy! What is "pudim"?

    ReplyDelete