Friday 20 June 2014

Slow food, healthy food



Well, let me share with you somre of my impressions about this big, peculiar and amazing city. I don´t know if what I am going to say is relevant, but at least it can be food for thought in a certain way. Has London turned into a greener city in terms of food?
The first time I came here backpacking with my boyfriend (actually my husband today),  my daily diet was based on sandwiches, burgers and fries, some fruit bought in markets, not going much further than McDonalds and Burger King ans some of their oily options. It was a hard winter and on top of that it was a good way to save money or at least not expending so much.
It´s been more than 10 years since then and now when I´m back for this one-month teacher training, I found the city with many options of healthy food stores, including some vegetarian dishes, which can be easily found in chains of modern restaurants exploring the “slow food” movement, such as PretaManger (with shops spread all over the city) and Leon (a vintage-style  place near Trafalgar Square). This has been a positive point in my view, that´s why I thought it was worth commenting. If someone has any ideas or impressions on this, just let me know. Any suggestions of good places to eat at good prices for Latin American visitors are welcome too.

Ilka Santi

5 comments:

  1. Hello Ilka, I should agree with you. I was here 15 years ago and I thought the food was very bad, but now it's so much better, right? I've heard they now have these "gastro" pubs where food should be good. I wonder if anyone knows a good one so we can give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know London has been changing about "slow food". I'm pretty much a salad lover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone!
    There have been two activities that made me think about my teaching: the grammar andthe game ones. I know my reality is different, but I can adapt them to my students.
    Everything isgoing very well.
    Have a nice Sunday!
    See you on Monday!
    Teresinha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with you Ilka, I had never been to London, but It's really following a different path when it comes to fast food style, because it's not necessarily slow, but it's fast, healthy and not more expensive than the regular one

    ReplyDelete
  5. English food isn't famous for being tasty or healthy, but as you've pointed out, there's some good stuff out here. There's a vegetarian restaurant called "Food for Thought" in Covent Garden, you can eat in or it does takeaway. "Pod" on High Holborn does quick, healthy food to take away too. Any other suggestions from the rest of you?

    ReplyDelete